Search this blog

Archives

  •     

If you have been reading The Blue Boots for some time now, you should've noticed my scientifially-unreliable experiment on having 180-minute cardiovascular exercise a week, and my terminated experiment on 20-minute cardiovascular exercise a day due to personal reasons going on in my life. Consequently, I've also terminated from the national challenge to run 2011km this year.

This year I want to focus on the opposite of stress and pressure: Relaxation. Reduction. Breathing. Inhaling. Rejuvenating. Healing. I believe in the idea that less is more.

This applies to the prominent aspects of my life, including the little inanities of my days. You know, the economy of words, the lower the body weight, the less stuff we have, the reduction of our consumption of any form, and so on and so forth.

In my work, I used to be so impressed with the latest headlines and biggest news stories there ever published. I keep following these news and try to digest them personally, so that I can process them and craft my ideas with them, and turn these information into my own articles. I'm more of the big-picture first than detail-by-detail person, so I like to look at all perspectives first of my subject matter before I make a formal statement. However, before I know it, I got lost in the words I dove in to; different people use different vocabularies, and I realized that the simpler the words used, the better it is for people to understand, because at the end of the day, it's not the words you say that makes you memorable. It's how you make them feel. Maya Angelou knows that better than anyone else.

For example, we can get big stories out of little stories. This applies to almost anyone I meet, no matter how ordinary they are. Most of the time, it's the people who are given the least attention that turns out to be our everyday heroes. And I appreciate how the security in my new apartment building is just the way he is - always positive, always ready to chatter with tenants and strangers alike.

I also think that the way a person dresses, the way he or she puts on clothes to show their skin, is the way they project themselves - and in turn, their behaviors create amazing images of themselves when they have made a terrific impression on somebody else's eyes. If we happen to smile a lot, like the security guard at my lobby, we recite our biological similarities instead of finding our racial, ethnic, and gender differences. This is called positive psychology.

I learned that positive psychology, a new optimistic branch of psychology, is defined as the scientific study of optimal human functioning; aims to discover and promote strengths and virtues that enable individuals and communities to thrive. I believe that using the less is more rule is applicable to anything.

In this case, I'm introducing you to my plans for my Semester Project for my psychology class, which I'm focusing on positive psychology, mainly using internal locus of control, which is scientifically defined as the perception that you control your own fate. In fancy language, it's basically what they call the self-fulfilling prophecy. Now, since psychology is the science of behaviors and mental processes, I don't want to get too philosophical about the metaphysical aspects of the word "prophecy".

During our first class 2 weeks ago, my professor went back to a little bit of Science 101. He explained to us the definitive term of "the placebo effect" we get when scientists perform operational experiments. The placebo effect are causations only by expectations only. "Believe, and you will," he simply said. It's really just like our spiritual faith: We just trust the process, no questions about it.

Sounds simple enough. But if we take that into our internal locus of control, that we believe that we have the right and the power to control our fate towards positive, healthy, and happy expectations, we've established the power of our will, and optimism is as infectious as God's will, just like the smile of a stranger can go viral and make everyone's day just a little bit better.



Before, I told you that I told my professor about my 20-minute a day of cardiovascular exercise hypothesis, that it can increase my GPA, which I was thinking about to make as my Semester Project. But I took it to the next level.


I've always despised those quarterly semester progress grades we get, because it pressures us in terms of how we do in our academic standing so periodically. Now, I'm taking it to its fullest advantage. We'll see how my 4th week (out of 15) reflects my performance. From there, I would be having 2 more consistent progress grades until my instructors determine my final grades.


To help my academic performance, I also included other specific measurements that I can easily control (Since gradings are determined by external factors, not completely internal). This includes 13 paces of 3.1-mile runs, 13 records of my RHR (Rsting Heart Rate), 7 Weigh-Ins on body weight, 5 measurements of body fat percentage, and 3 tests of systolic and diastolic blood pressures, all to be done consistently every week, every 2 weeks, every 3 weeks, and every month.


Here's the breakdown:


  • 3.1-mile runs (total of 13) every week
  • RHR records (total of 13) every week
  • Body weight-ins (total of 7) every 2 week
  • Body fat percentage measurements (total of 5) every 3 weeks
  • Systolic/Diastolic blood pressure tests (total of 3) every 4 weeks
  • Grades (total of 4) every 4 weeks


The date that I would officially start accounting this survey would be my birthday on 24 February 2011, when I'll be turning 21 years old. My intention to perform this practical, yet applicable habits (which I'm going to tell you in a minute) is to adopt the good habits that would last a lifetime. For the sole purpose of successful aging in my future years, I'd like to use the above specific measurements, which are basic tests of healthy physiology and maintenance of good homeostasis, to mark my progress as I go along trusting this process we all go through - life.


Breaking the term successful aging further down into bio-psycho-social factors, there are a lot of influences that comes into factor, mainly:


Biological Influences:


  • no genes predisposing dementia or other diseases
  • appropriate nutrition


Psychological Influences:


  • optimistic outlook
  • physically and mentally active life-style


Social-Cultural influences:


  • support from family and friends
  • meaningful activities
  • cultural respect for aging
  • safe living conditions

So, when I said I want to apply my personal less-is-more truth I want to realize (make real) out of the placebo effect of this Semester Project, I meant doing optimally in a little portion of my life (just one whole semester) that applies to the length of my lifetime, in other words, learning long-term habits and creating permanent memory that should become good habits I will be turning into my second nature, all these positive psychology learned in such a short time.



These habits include:


  • 8 hours of sleep everyday
  • shifting negative thoughts everyday
  • 30 minutes of sunlight everyday
  • 1200 ~ 1500 calorie consumption everyday
  • 30 minutes aerobic exercise, 3 times a week
  • 2 meaningful social engagements a week

"Simply put: Humans were never designed for the sedentary, disengaged, socially isolated, poorly nourished, sleep-deprived pace of 21st century American life," said Stephen Ilardi, the man behind TLC (Theraupetic Lifestyle Change). 


By now, I think I've established my reasons why I'm doing this. For the practice of successful aging, for optimum health and happiness, for finding the true meaning of my life once I get out of this quarter-life crisis, for the reminder that we all have control of our lives, starting from the day I turn 21.


Now, for specificity's sake, I have 3 specific goals out of this Spring Semester:


  1. Earn A to A- grades for all my classes.
  2. Write about Saluna, my alter-ego, until the name "Saluna" is interchangeable with "Stacia" (i.e. taming my id and optimizing my ego and superego, so self-actualization is applicable here). For the final creative nonfiction project of my Creative Writing class, I'm accounting this semester.
  3. Run a 3.1-mile distance at 15'34", beating my personal best 5k by 1 second.


So, as you can see, I'm also simplifying my workload by doing this Semester Project, because then I don't have to break down my brain into disassociation states for different classes and make my brain work harder than it needs to be. 


FYI, Psychology Wiki defines disassociation as a psychological phenomenon in which certain thoughts, emotions, sensations, and memories are separated from the psyche. (See more)


Good enough reasons for the project, eh? By May 16, 2011, I should already become a definition of Homo sapiens, literally meaning "wise man," and with less stress, being officially an adult won't be so difficult as they say anymore, because it's what they say.


And this is what I say: Less is more. It's that simple, scientifically speaking.



Leave a Reply