Search this blog

Archives

  •     



It's the latest debut by sensational international popstar BoA, "Copy & Paste" from her Vol. 6 (repackaged album).

Much like "My Name", I didn't enjoy my first listen that much.

However, persistent that I am, I kept the song on my iTunes anyway before I hit the Trash. And then after a week or so, I'm practically crazy about "My Name" (and even went so far as learning the solo dance on the mirror over time). I'm waiting for the time when I shall be dancing like she does in this video, which is considered as intermediate if I were to compare it with her moves in the MV of her US singles.

_________


I don't know about you, but I've practically been growing up with BoA. So if you're familiar with her multi-cultural background, her ridiculous talents, and the rage of fans behind her back throughout the world, you're missing out.
During her initial popularity on days of "Valenti", I was having my PSLE in Singapore. I didn't really listen to Asian pop music back then. I have always been an all-night listener of 98.7 FM with JA entertaining my ears while I study. When I go to school, however, BoA have always been the talk of Asian hits.
Until I came back to Jakarta, I met my best friend Cat, whom everyone in school knew was my mate. She was the K-Freak, and I was the J-Freak. I couldn't recall exactly how I grew to become a Japanese pop culture fanatic, transitioning from a strictly-English-only listener to a kawaii nation wanna-go-to-be, but what I know is that we share a similar interest in BoA. You know, she speaks Korean and Japanese like a true Korean and a real Japanese. So somehow, aside from the fact that she releases Korean versions of her Japanese songs, I became her follower.
I wasn't that much of a fan, I just thought that she's really pretty. Like, authentic pretty. You often see pop-eyed luscious lips and pointy nose if you see beauty, but I love her simplicity.
Especially when I saw her on "Atlantic Princess" and "Key of Heart."


_________


As these years go by, which is about 7-8 years, I didn't realize that I admire her beauty as much as her personality. Being a multilingual myself, a performer now and then, and a storyteller full-time, I can understand that the simple outlook is just a cover-up of a very complicated person.

"Reaching my mid-twenties, I think I'm able to broaden on the scope of music that I do than when I was in my teens. And I am trying to understand the song first rather than just trying to sing it well no matter what. In the past, I used to have an obsession about having to sing well and that I had to do it well, but now I think about how I can perform songs in a way that I am being myself the most. Being a professional singer for ten years, it is important to take on a challenge and try new things but it is also important to do a good job. I think it is best that I do what I can do well at and use my weapon, which is performing, so that people like watching me perform." - BoA, interviewed by Kang Myoung-Seok, HanCinema (2010 August 9)
Sometimes you feel like a slave to what the public wants. Other times, it's all just a personal satisfaction.
I'm still looking up at her, the "veteran" Asian entertainer who's made the industry so successful today. She keeps me moving forward.
zzzzzzzzz
P.S. I think the reason I might've cut my hair short again after growing it for 3 years since my last bob hair-do was her wow factor on the video of "BUMP!BUMP!" with VERBAL. She look so cool with that boyish haircut!







I simply fly, with Ai.
Stace



Leave a Reply